Own hybrid I call "Stella-Maria"

• Hi!

Here is a TH that flowered for me last summer (2013). Brought it up by seed but I'm not sure about the crossing (unfortunately I messed up some labels).

It has a filled flower, strong color and broad petals. The flower has a diameter of approx. 18 cm.

I name it "Stella-Maria" after my mother-in-law.

Hope you like it!

Morgan

• @ Enrico

Thank you!

Both photos ARE reality! I strongly dislike photoshop etc.

If I have a flower that I like, I give it a name. I haven't registered the hybrid anywhere, I won't do either (I'm not a member of AG).

I compared my "Stella-Maria" with e.g. the hybrid "Wörlitz" yesterday (a hybrid that is highly "modern" right now, maybe because of a dark red/magenta) and I personally think that "Stella-Maria" has something more then just it's magenta flower. Yes, the shape of the flower is not unique but it has broad petals, it's filled, it's got wrinkled tips of the petalsm dark filaments. I like it!

First photo is taken under less lit conditions, second photo is taken in bright sunlight.

I won't send it to a competition of hybrid of the year!

Morgan

• Here is another photo, to judge from. As reference it's "Superapricot" in the background (the others are mostly my own hybrids).

If the majority of this forum find it inappropriate of me to name my hybrids (for my own record that is) I will stop sharing here and use this forum passively (as I have done most of the time, I use it frequently though).

Morgan

• Hello Morgan

I am somewhat surprised about your harsh reaction. I did not at all intend to offend you, I confirmed it is a good flower and I did not critisize you, I didn't sentence you nor did I forbidde you to name this plant :confused:. I only had some doubts if it makes sense to name this plant than you didn't even mention the parents of this plant. You should be aware as soon you mention a name in public this name will be used and searched.

But anyway I really do hope that you are enough openminded that you can accept little doubts or even an other opinion. About the color our eyes can correct the color between sun and shade, but the cameras can't and therefore your pictures are in different in the color. I only wanted to know which picture is closer to the real color.

Many regards:cwm71:

Erich

• Enrico

I agree I'm a bit easily offended right now, I over reacted, sorry!

I had trouble with some member of hybridenforum previously and therefore I mostly read here. When I posted again, after a long period of inactivity I interpreted your comment with hostility.

I'm not a member of AG as I wrote before so I find myself sovereign regarding my hybrids. I do not benefit anything from AG so I feel no obligation to conform to it's rules.

I posted my photos here in this section "general photos" because I have lost the label and information to parentage.

I uploaded a photo from last summer (I was not in a hurry to show anyone here my new hybrid). I usually only read here, mostly because I dislike authority which I don't think belongs in art (yes, I see our passion/activity as a form of art even though God does the biggest part of it).

A question: who decides which hybrids deserve a name or not, is there some voting or do we have formal popes?

Why I stick here is that I seek my people who, like me, enjoys beauty and pleasure!

(many cameras have a hard time capturing red or blue nuances, as I think of it photo #1 shows "reality" better then photo#2 which is distorted in colour absolutely not accurate to reality).

• Hi Morgan,
    this is an eye-catching colour and the size is good. You are free to give it a name, and Stella-Maria is a pretty name. As the colour of the midrib does not contrast very much to the rest of the flower, you might cross it with a hybrid, that has a white or yellow midrib to enhance the contrast.

• Thank you Muddyliz, yes you are right about this it also crossed my mind to try acheiving this midstripe. Maybe L winteriana is a goid candidate!

This hybrid is from one of these crosses:

BS.05.1301
    BS.05.1305
    BS.05.1324
    BS.05.1353

Morgan

• Lobivia winteriana is good for a bright center, and maybe there will be some marbling/striped passage between center and margin too. But use this Lobivia only as motherplant. My advice: Try to mary it with Super Aprocot, you can store pollen in the refrigerator, if the pollen is taken as soon as the flower opens, the earlier the better.

• Hej Morgan!

Nu har jag sett din vacker kaktus "Stella-Maria". Och jag har läst att Du har odlat själv manga hybrider. Grattis!
    Men som tysk är jag interesserat: Hur gå det med kaktus-odling uppe där i Grästorp? Vad gör Du i vintern? Har Du ett glashus som Du heter upp i vintern? Och hur många måste Du uppheter? Eller stanna kaktusar i huset under vintertiden? Vi (min sambo och jag) har ett semesterhus i norra Hälsingland, en mil från Härjedalen. Där, jag tror, har jag ingen chans att odla bra för att vintern är för kalt och för lång. Vad tänker Du? Har Du erfarenheter eller kanske känner Du kaktus-kompisar in Norrland?

Kan jag se flera bilder från dina kaktusar?
    Jag älskar orange-färgat blommor mest (som jag kan se tre blommor på din andra bild), men också stark färgat blommor som din Stella-Maria. Ljus-färgat är inte mina favoriter!

Varsågod och pratar lite om "kaktus-odling i Sverige". Tack så mycket!

Hejdå,
    Wolle

• Hej Vikan!

Hälsingland är långt norrut, där är kallt och mörkt. Helt andra förutsättningar att odla än här i Grästorp (Grästorp ligger i sydvästra Sverige).

Roligt att du gillar min "Stella Maria", tack!

Vintertid värmer jag mitt växthus till ca 5 grader. Växthuset är ca 160 kvadratmeter och har täckmaterial i 32 mm polykarbonat.

Sverige är inget "kaktus-land", jag känner ingen här som är riktigt galen i kaktusar (inte som i Tyskland). Svenskarnas mentalitet passar inte för kaktusar, vi tänker för mycket här uppe i kalla norden där förnuftet dyrkas alltför hårt (övriga sinnen som lukt, syn, känsel, ja allt som hör en livsnjutare till klassas som barnsligt och ointelligent). Jag är en udda figur här och många funderar vad jag håller på med. (just nu verkar det dock som att kaktusar blivit på modet och min kommentar brukar vara "även en trasig klocka går rätt åtminstone 1 gång om dagen).

Mycket snart blommar hela växthuset här, Schönste, Flying Saucer, Prachtstuck, Kleopatra, First Light, Superapricot... Mycket mycket är på gång!

Jag har en hemsida echinopsis.eu (även min facebook används flitigt för kaktus-foton, väkommen/välkomna att lägga till mig som vän "Morgan Marusteri" heter jag).

Ha det bra mina vänner och lycka till med blommor och korsningar i sommar! Jag älskar er!

Morgan

• God morgon (sprich: gudd morjon) Elke!
    Verstehst Du denn die Texte sinngemäß?
    Schwedisch und Deutsch sind nicht so weit auseinander und wenn man dann noch Englisch kann, ist es möglich, ohne große Kenntnisse der schwedischen Sprache einfache Texte sinngemäß zu verstehen.
    Viele Grüße,
    Wolfram