Sunburn damage on Echinopsis.

• Hello Group,

I apologize if the words look strange in English translation to German .

I grow Echinopis hybrids in south facing green house on south coast , UK.
    It receives many hours of sunshine.

In winter they are on benches , no shade. They are kept dry and cold.

In Spring ( March 2010) I put aluminum shade cloth on south side, and shade paint ( x2 layers ) on north side. Automatic ventilator to open
    + 30 degC . I water from below and then spray water onto plants on hot days.
    I water in the morning (am)

I like to keep my greenhouse plants at 30degC for quick growth.

On some plants I have big problems with burn, ribs on top and crown of plants. Brown rib burn and then cell death in circles .
    I also get brown death on some pups ( Kindel ) on top and bottom.

Now my plants are shaded, but will they become too soft for when I remove Shade in September? How can I make plants hard to take sunshine in the winter ?

The plants seem to burn when dry in the winter.

Can I grow my Echinopsis with lots of shade all the year? Will this make big soft plants but no flowers in spring? Is it best to be safe with lots of shade ?

Any help is much appreciated .
    LeeAlan

• Hello,

I normally use green shade net in spring, when sun becomes stronger, until the plants are accustomed to the sun. I remove the net completely latest mid of may. Even currently during the heat wave they get full sun, and water every 3 days. So far I did not find any sunburn yet.

But I think it depends also on the material of the panes. Acrylic double glass scatters light more than normal glass, which is a benefit, and watering also has an influence.

Cheers:cwm71:
    Hans-Georg

• In my winter garden the roof is made of 16 mm thick double layered Polycarbonate panel and the sides are of double layered glass. There is no sunburn at all.
    My glasshouse is made of 10 mm thick double layered Polycarbonate panel. Here I place my poted young seedlings. To prevent them from sunburn, I attached one layer of garden fleece insinde the greenhouse, thats enough.

I think, Your problem is caused by normal glass, so the ultraviolet light can pass through, causing sunburn.

Maybe Your problem may be caused by using the wrong fertilizer. If You use a nitrogene-based fertilizer, the cells become too week. To fasten the cells, I use liquid manure, made of horstail (Equisetum). Take some hands full of Equisetum, put it into water and let it ferment for at least 4 weeks (during the fertilisation it doesn't smell good). Then seeve the liquid by a blanket and store it in a container. To use this as a fertiliser, add 9 parts of water to one part of the manure.

• [ quote = Dave_S , 5284 ] Would be so interested to find out if anyone here is shading their greenhouses with shade cloth. Although I've never had any Echinopsis trichos or suffer with scorching , only a few Astrophytum .

regards

Dave [ / quote ]

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your input.

Here in the UK on south coast, I use shade aluminium shade cloth which offers 50% shade, and yet I still get burn. I also use Coolglass shade paint. Shade is applied in March.

I think my special problem is perhaps that the plants get shaded from East, then from an intense window of sun from the south most of the day, then shaded SW (by buildings) but in the evening they get more sun from the West. Perhaps they grow as though they were shaded for many hours then get blasted by the sun from 10am to 4pm.

It is causing me lots of problems.
    With regards
    LeeAlan

• [ quote = hans georg , 5292 ] Hello ,

I normally use green shade net sun in spring , when sun becomes stronger , until the plants are accustomed to the. I completely remove the net latest mid of may . Even during the heat wave currently they get full sun , and water every 3 days. So far I did not find any sunburn yet.

But I think it depends also on the material of the panes . Acrylic double glass scatters light more than normal glass, which is a benefit , and so watering has an influence.

Cheers:cwm71:
    Hans -Georg [ / quote ]

Hello Hans-Georg,

Thank you for your input.
    It is very interesting to hear about your conditions.

I think your Acrylic double glass allows you to grow without too many sun burn worries. You can solve it with your spring care.

I have ordinary horticultural glass in aluminium greenhouse and think this is why I am having problems. Also my plants are subject to an intense window of sunhine during the middle of the day which is perhaps a shock for them!

With regards
    LeeAlan

• [ quote = muddyliz ; 5295 ]
    I think, Your problem is caused by normal glass, so the ultra violet light can pass through sunburn , causing.

Maybe Your problem may be caused by using the wrong fertilizer. If You use a nitro gene -based fertilizer , the cells become too week. . [ / quote ]

Hello muddyliz,

Thank you for your input.

It is interesting to hear about your conditions.

Yes I am rapidly thinking it is the high levels of UV sunshine that is causing my problems through glass
    I also think I may be weakening my plants with nitrogen for quick growth.

It is strange...normally in the tropics or very sunny conditions with most plants you increase fertiliser to keep pace with fast growth.

Your Equisetum manure is very interesting information.

Maybe also the high evels of sunshine and water splashes, or misting are causing my problems.

With regards
    LeeAlan