2nd year bloom.. is stable?

• Hallo!

this is a hybrid of mine, the mother/father plants are unnamed hybrids, anyway, this is the bloom of the second year (2010), last year it bloomed but I was not at home and I did not see it, I only could notice that it was orange or so.

I've heard that the bloom of an echinopsis hybrid is stable only after the second year, is it correct?

I am experiencing also with other hybrids of mine some changes from first to second year, I would like to know your experience and if the second year bloom is the "real" one!

danke! :cwm71:

Matteo

• Hi Matteo,
    i recognized, that the color does depend of different things like fertilizer, components of soil and so on. I have Eh's witch does differ from year to year, so it makes not very much sense to me about this rule about 2 years.
    How ever, it is better to watch the behavior of your flowers, so you can be sure after a while, that the color of a certain year is similar to one you expect and the characteristics of this hybrid.

regards, Stefan

• Hello,

sorry that I cannot answer your questions but the result of your crossing is simply amazing. Congrats !

(could it be, that you were at the "Tag der offenen Tür" at Chiemgau Kaktus this year?)

• Hi Stefan,

thanks for sharing your opinion. I agree that some changes occure even after the second year, depending on many factors. I also heard of flowers drastically different from the first year, maybe this is why someone made the "second year" rule..

Thank you Alex,
    I am very glad you like my hibrid, and actually I like it too, it was a surprise for me!
    Unfortunately I was not at that happening in Chiemgau kaktus, maybe it was another Matteo :), it is a very common name!

Have a good day!
    Matteo