Harissia jusbertii to produce flowers

• Hello Group,

Please could some members advise the best method for producing flowers on Harissia jusbertii?
    I have a plant 35 cms high and diameter across 4cms.

Do these plants always need a cool dry rest in winter to make flower buds?
    Winter 5 degC.

I would like to keep my plant winter 10degC night with watering to make it grow bigger. Will this winter growing stop flower bud formation in a warm conservatory.

I can grow my plants dry in cold greenhouse without heat, or warm conservatory with some watering.
    UK sunshine.

Your advice is much appreciated.
    Best regards
    LeeAlan (in UK)

• Hello LeeAlan!
    As a matter of fact, all plants need a "winterperiod" for the induction of flowers as in nature habitats.
    Most cacteae originating or adapted to the northern half of the globe(meens flowering period between March to October), you should be given a winterbreak at low temperatures (day/night differences wellcome) with no
    watering from the end of October ´til the end of February/mid. of March.

A "coldhouse" is perfect in areas with no frost, otherwise keep the plants frostfree at a minimum of 5 deg.Celsius.

Do not drown or fertilise with the first watering and do not turn the plants in the growing season as some will stop producing buds or throw them off.
    Treat your jusbertii that way and it should flower. Harissia can manage more water and fertiliser as the normal cereus / echinopsis genus, but I guess that too much of both will only result in maximum growth , so treat it like the cereus-hybrids and it should flower easyly!

Hope my English wasn`t all too awfull!!!
    Greetings from a winterwhite "eastern"- Germany,
    Your´s
    Christian Halbauer

• Hello Christian-Halbauer,
    Thank you for your help and advice. It is good to know the best way to get flowers next year on my Harissia jusbertii. I will certainly go for the cold winter rest. My plant is already dry and so it will be easy to go for this method.
    Then start watering slowly when it get warmer.
    I understood all your instructions perfectly in English.
    With best regards
    LeeAlan.