Flower stem too weak

• Hello Group,
    I am seeking advice.

I grow Echinopsis hybrids in UK in a greenhouse.

On some of my Echinopsis with large flowers, I have a problem.
    Flower buds will form and start to open but then the flower base will break
    My plants are well fed with water and fertiliser.

Other plants hold their flowers perfectly at 45 degrees.

It has just happened with Echinopsis Djinni (Schick).

Is this poor varieties with flowers too large!
    Sometimes the flower falls to the horizontal or below!

Do I need to water the plant as it as the bud is forming for the last 12 hours
    as the flower is swelling?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.
    Alan(inUK)

• Hello Alan,
    I think, many of us have the same problem, especially with Echinopsis-hybrids. As there is a direction to grow greater flowers, the chance of breaking flower stems will increase, especially if the flowers originate by the side of the plant. I consequently separate out all these plants. The only way to get stabile flowers is to cross these Echinopsis with plants with shorter and stouter flower stems, e.g. Lobivia or Trichocereus.

• Hello Alan,

the problem is not the water or fertilizer, the selection was not enough rigid, that means it is in the genes that the flower is to weak to hold the weight. Also with Charlemagne you will have the same problem, it may happen that some flowers stand upright, others bend or even break.

You can also cross with other Echinops-hybrids, but choose one with strong flower! I have crossings with charlemagne and the flowers of the daughters are stable and never bend!

• Hello Ernst,
    Thank you for your advice.
    It is interesting to know it is the mainly the genetics and that it is a common problem. Yes the problem flowers are on the side of the plant.
    It is a good suggestion to breed with plants that have better shorter stems.
    Much appreciated.
    Alan (inUK)

[quote='muddyliz','http://www.hybridenforum.de/fw5/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=25338#post25338']Hello Alan,
    I think, many of us have the same problem, especially with Echinopsis-hybrids.

• Hello Erich,

Thank you for your advice. I was worried it may be my culture conditions.
    It is good to hear from you also that it is a variety problem. I must look out more closely for this problem. My Charlemagne has not flowered yet!
    Good luck with your plant breeding. It is good to be able to select stronger flowers.
    Much appreciated.
    Alan (inUK)

Hello Alan,

the problem is not the water or fertilizer, the selection was not enough rigid, that means it is in the genes that the flower is to weak to hold the weight. Also with Charlemagne you will have the same problem, it may happen that some flowers stand upright, others bend or even break.

You can also cross with other Echinops-hybrids, but choose one with strong flower! I have crossings with charlemagne and the flowers of the daughters are stable and never bend!