PPM for fertiliser

• Hello Group,

I grow my Echinopsis and Trichocerus hybrids in a green house in coir + grit + perlite mix in UK.

Is there a recommended ppm for liquid fertiliser strength?
    I would like to know the maximum strength I can feed with no root burn?

I understand these cacti species in their natural habitat can come from nutrient rich soils. So I wonder are the roots adapted to high levels of salts?

At present I feed seedlings at Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 300ppm.
    Adult plants TDS 600ppm.

I feed adult plants with a fertiliser NPK 2-2-6

I use an accurate Hanna meter.

My plants grow, but I think they are slow. I do not know if it is the cold wet weather with no sunshine or the lack of food?

Your advice is much appreciated.
    With regards
    LeeAlan

• Hi LeeAlan,
    during summer, I use a fertilizer NPK 8-8-8 with additional trace elements Fe and Mg (so they become dark-green) maximum half the concentration as specified. In spring, I spray some bonemeal over the ground and water it into the ground. (Bonemeal is rich of P and induces flowering.) In autumn, I use a tea of horsetail (Equisetum). Put horsetail into water for 24 hours, then cook it and wait till it's cold, then mix it with water 1:9. Horsetail contails a lot of K and stabilizes the cells.
    Generally: If you use too much fertilizer, your cacti will become week and prone to fungi-diseases, so better grow them slowly but solid.

• Hello Ernst,

Thank you for your help and advice.
    I see you favour 1/2 strength fertiliser approach.

I was surprised to know you spray bonemeal in spring. Do you think this makes the pH go more alkaline for your plants?

Perhaps your water is already acid.

You grow much better plants than me, so perhaps I should follow your methods to get good results.

Than you for your assistance
    LeeAlan

Hi LeeAlan,
    during summer, I use a fertilizer NPK 8-8-8 with additional trace elements Fe and Mg (so they become dark-green) maximum half the concentration as specified. In spring, I spray some bonemeal over the ground and water it into the ground. (Bonemeal is rich of P and induces flowering.) In autumn, I use a tea of horsetail (Equisetum). Put horsetail into water for 24 hours, then cook it and wait till it's cold, then mix it with water 1:9. Horsetail contails a lot of K and stabilizes the cells.
    Generally: If you use too much fertilizer, your cacti will become week and prone to fungi-diseases, so better grow them slowly but solid.

• Hi LeeAlan,
    bonemeal contains much phosphate, and this will induce the growing of flower-buds. Don't confuse bonemeal with hornmeal, wich contains only nitogene. Other growers use an extract of valerian flowers to induce flowering. High differences between night- and day-temperatures in spring also promote flowering.
    Summary: In spring use phospate accentuated fertilizer, in Summer a mix of 1:1:1, half concentration as announced, in autumn use potassium accentuated fertilizer to harden the cell walls.

• Ernst,
    Thank you for the advice and guidance.

With your methods you are growing with both inorganic and organic fertiliser. That is interesting.

With best regards
    LeeAlan

Hi LeeAlan,
    bonemeal contains much phosphate, and this will induce the growing of flower-buds. Don't confuse bonemeal with hornmeal, wich contains only nitogene. Other growers use an extract of valerian flowers to induce flowering. High differences between night- and day-temperatures in spring also promote flowering.
    Summary: In spring use phospate accentuated fertilizer, in Summer a mix of 1:1:1, half concentration as announced, in autumn use potassium accentuated fertilizer to harden the cell walls.