Introduction - New member

• Hello, my name is Bruce, I am a new member of the AG.

I was encouraged to write a short introduction in English, I have found many AG members understand English quite well and others use Google Translate. So hopefully this will not be a problem.

I live in England and recently learnt about the AG and the excellent work it does from a member. In England there is a very disappointing hybrid scene, lacking in quality and breeders in general. Most focus solely on Echinopsis and have become quite stagnant, reproducing similar results and not moving forward.

For many years the bulk of my collection was Schick and UK Echinopsis hybrids, then I discovered the nurseries of Andreas Wessner and more recently Michael kießling. I also purchased many hybrids from German Ebay. I have grafted many purchases and greatly increased the breeding potential of my collection.

I also joined Facebook groups and found it an excellent way to expand beyond the UK, meeting people from all over the world who share the same passion.

My collection is primarily Trichocereus, Echinopsis and Lobivia. I have been raising seeds from other breeders’ crosses for years with success. My hope is to expand my collection with great genetics and produce crosses of much higher quality with these new parents. I also want to learn as much as possible from other members and the great experience that is available here!

Best wishes,
    Bruce

• Hello Bruce!
    Welcome to the AG and welcome here in the forum!

Yes, the Schick-hybrids - that's probably what most of us started with.
    What comes after?
    Maybe "collecting everything"?
    And than? Specialization?

I think there exists some sorte of typical steps how people jump into hybrids.

I am looking forward to learn more exciting things from your breeding experiences (fails & successes) with many, many pictures :cwm69:
    And as I just realized: "grafting" is already known to you: http://www.hybridenforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6074

If you have any questions, just drop it to the community.

Maybe we'll see each other live, for example in spring in Schweinfurt for the next annual conference?

One question at the end: do you have any experience in sending pollen via mail? Anything special to take in to account?

Greetings Bernhard

• Hey Bruce, great to have you here. :psb20: :psb20: :psb20: Let me know if you need a crash course in German. :psb04:

• Hello Bruce!
    Welcome to the AG and welcome here in the forum!

Greetings Bernhard

There definitely seems to be a common pattern in the beginning, for over 6 years I had only Schicks and UK hybrids, I have 121/127 Schicks. Searching for the remainder was how I found Andreas and the German hybrids.

Then I saw the Wotora varieties, of course they were very exciting! Pink Stripes, Annette Liske, Feuerzauber etc. Then I started buying suitable parents, Worlitz, Asterix, Cantora Gelb, Flying Dragon etc. Then progressed to more hybrids, ASD Rokoko, Tropenzauber, Lobivia (Thai e.g. BIV etc) and some of Wladi’s wonderful hybrids. Of course, I have many more, but much of this part of my collection is still young.

Many purchased plants are very small, so grafting became important. My Asterix was unrooted 1.5cm x 1.5cm, it is now happily grafted. I like to try different techniques and stock plants to maximise growth and save any waste (grafting the bottoms/reverse grafts etc). I have had great success with grafting from my first attempt. But there is still much I hope to learn and refine!

I have not tried to send pollen via mail, so I cannot help there.

I would really like to travel to the next meeting in Spring, it is important to meet people!

Nice to see you too Patrick! :cwm71:

• Sorry Bruce,

for not welcoming you warmly as you deserved it last autumn.

Thank you for your detailed introduction. I guess your breeding-hobby made a large step forward in the last year and there are "some more" plants in your greenhouse now than just the complete Schick-brigade.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Regensburg!

Cheers,

Tim

:cool: